Best Products to Use on Natural Texture Wigs and Extensions
- You can spin the wheel only once.
- If you win, you can claim your coupon for 1 day only!
Best Products to Use on Natural Texture Wigs and Extensions
The purchase of wigs and extensions can be seen as an investment in the future. This is especially true for those persons who elect to spend their hard earned coins on 100% quality human hair that requires the same care and maintenance regimen that you would normally give to your own real hair.
To a lesser degree, this is also applicable to wearers of synthetic hair and mixed hair (blends of real and synthetic) as some maintenance is generally needed to ensure long and beautiful wear. Suffice to say that with most types of extensions currently on the market, you would also need a few products to get the best results from your purchase.
Here are our top product recommendations for natural texture wigs and extensions.
Shampoos and Conditioners
If you are already using a lot of silicone based products in your hairs such as contained in most heat protectants, then it is possible to skip the shampooing step altogether. However, if you are heavy handed with the application of other products such as creams and gels and you notice product build up, then it is recommended you shampoo your purchased hair as needed.
For natural hair extensions, you will need products containing silicone as they will give your hair a silky, smooth feel while making it appear more lustrous and shiny. At the same time, you want to avoid products that contain the sulfates that are known to strip the hair and make it appear dull, dry and brittle.
For this reason, our top product recommendation for natural texture wigs and extensions is the Long Sexy Hair Luxurious Shampoo and Conditioner Duo. They work great for cleaning the hair while adding moisture. They are also pros at eliminating the unpleasant odor associated with certain types of wigs and extensions.
These bad boys cleanse the hair; promote shine and hydration while making the hair soft and manageable. The key ingredients include Moringa Oil and Biotin, and both products are free of SLS/SLES sulfates. So rest assured that if you have colored your extensions, this duo will not damage the vibrancy and longevity of your hair color.
Another good option is the Silicone Mix Shampoo and Conditioner Duo which is available in most local beauty stores but which can also be purchased for a cheaper price via Amazon. Like their predecessor mentioned above, these babies work great for cleansing and conditioning to bring hair back to life!
Deep Conditioners and Leave-in Conditioners
For those who skip the shampooing stage, then co-washing with the use or regular conditioners or deep conditioners becomes vital. And even if you have shampooed and conditioned the hair prior, extra moisture can still be added with the use of good deep conditioners and leave-in.
Apart from their hydrating and moisturizing properties, conditioners also serve the purpose of acting as great detanglers. So if you are rocking a texture that is prone to matting and tangling, just saturate the hair with a good conditioner and leave for about fifteen minutes. Afterwards, work in small sections and using a wide tooth comb or a paddle brush then proceed to gently detangle the hair from the ends to the roots to ensure minimum shedding and breakages.
However, it should be noted that not all textures advise that you detangle the hair so be sure to check the instructions for hair care and maintenance that should be labeled on your purchase. Our top picks for deep conditioners and leave-in conditioners are as follows:
1. Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Hair Masque Treatment – This product works as a great conditioning treatment for dry, highlighted or color-treated hair. It should be applied to clean, wet hair, left for 15 – 30 minutes then thoroughly rinsed out.
2. Arvazallia Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask – This deep treatment is ideal for extensions that appear dry and brittle. It conditions, hydrates, aids with detangling, adds shine and revives dull hair while improving overall manageability and elasticity.
3. Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner – This creamy conditioner is often described as the ideal product for naught knots! It helps with the painless removal of tangles in the hair and can be used both as a leave-in conditioner or a regular conditioner.
4. Miss Jessie’s Leave-In Condish – This leave-in conditioner is great for a variety of curly textures ranging from wavy to tight curly. It is a very lightweight product that adds sheen and softness without any oil buildup. Nonetheless, as with all leave in products, it should be used sparingly on natural texture wig and extensions.
Curl Enhancers and Defining Products
Curl enhancing/defining products are only needed for extensions that have a curl pattern. Unlike oils and mousses, they will not weigh your hair down in your efforts to get your curls to pop. Instead, they will encourage curl clumping and offer amazing definition with minimal frizz.
Our top pick for curl enhancers is the Hydratherma Naturals aloe Curl Enhancing Twisting Cream. It is a very lightweight product so it won’t make you extensions appear limp and lifeless. Just apply the product then use a quality Denman or paddle brush to help define the curls. In the event that you don’t own a Denman brush, you can use the raking method, finger curling or the scrunching method to define curls.
Additionally, it should be noted that curls form better on wet hair, so have your spray bottle nearby when using this product. And if you don’t have the time to air-dry afterwards, then you can always use a diffuser or hooded dryer to speed the process up!
Finally, here are few others tips and things to note to ensure you are properly caring for your extensions:
- For sewn-in extensions that cannot be removed at nights, sleep with hair covered with a silk or satin scarf/cap.
- If you color or bleach your extensions then you would need to up your moisturizing game in terms of quantity and frequency.
– Extensions should be conditioned once or twice per week, with the option to moisturize daily with a light spritz of water and conditioner in a spray bottle.
- Avoid using products that are alcohol-based as they will dry the hair out.
- Never detangle on dry hair as this will only cause more shedding.